Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Get yer juice on!

So we have had our juicer quite a while back and we go through waves of interest with the thing. We are back in love and going strong right now. A few gals on the old IG have mentioned they are trying new juice combos and I said I would post some of our favs tried and true. I would name these on the fly but I am not that awesome. So the 10 year old and I did it earlier. I used hers because they were funnier than what I could muster. I laugh cried. Keep in mind that we make enough juice for a family of four plus extra for the following morning if possible ( I am all about conserving energy and doing stuff ahead of time). They say that fresh juices lose vital nutrients after about a day. I don't really know if that's true, but ours goes pretty fast so oh well.


So first we have what she calls "It's pretty much just beets"
4 large beets and the tops if your grocer keeps those on
3 red apples
1 cucumber
1 bunch of red chard
2 oranges with skins on
1 sweet potato
4 carrots


Next we have "Sour Fusion"
2 oranges with skins on
1 lime
2 grapefruit
1 pineapple
1 bunch of wheat grass
1 bunch of basil
2 fingers of ginger ( super helpful for morning sickness)
2 cucumbers


And my major favorite "The one from last summer"
1 watermelon
1 honeydew melon
1 bunch of mint
2 oranges
2 pears
2 apples
4 carrots

** I have to be honest. I took that one and added a huge bottle of merlot to it, plus floated frozen blueberries in it and called it Sangria**



 Another fun thing to do is use chia seeds to make these mega incredibly excellent for your body. I will blog about those magical things next time I think. Maybe a How-To?




And what would a random out of nowhere post from me be without some humor?

Do not juice the following unless you are hard up for nutrients and for some reason cannot consume these any other normal way. They are gross in juice form and will contaminate any lovely yum-fest you add them to.

Regular potato = chalky, cloudy, nast-water with a palate parching starchy dirt flavor. Only bonus is it's mega high in potassium. Potato and wheat grass shots? ::shudder::

Bananas = newsflash, they don't yield juice. My brother is an idiot.

Spinach = reeeeeaaalllly  hard to disguise in a medley. Rich grassy flavor that is kinda acrid.Chard is just as good for you and far less tart or earthy.

Turnip = I don't know how, but it loses any sweetness. Have you ever tasted a fart? It's like that.

Blackberries, Strawberries, Kiwis, Raspberries,Blueberries and of course, pomegranate = great in theory. More trouble than they are worth when you try to clean out all the grit that didn't pass through into your drink. That blade/filter may never be the same. Trouble shooting this we found that a bottle of Pomegranate juice makes a fine add in where berry antioxidants are needed. Kinda spendy yes, but well worth the time saving hair pulling clean-up.


Seriously though, try the Sangria.

No comments:

Post a Comment